I had this problem during a build this week and figured I’d better document it 1. In case anyone else needs to do it and 2. So I don’t forget it myself for next time.
I’m running Unity 2019.4.1f1 and doing the final few Beta builds for the game I’m just about to release called Endless Elevator. (If you want a quick peek before it’s released the beta has a few more days to run). I uploaded a new build to the Google Play Developer Console and noticed a new message saying something along the lines that API 20 Support was going to be discontinued soon and to check my API minimum levels. I did this and also noticed that I hadn’t updated my game’s API support for the latest releases (API 29 and 30) .
I tried to update it from within the Player Settings of Unity:
… and after some time got a pop up message:
“Unable to update the SDK. Please run the SDK Manager manually to make sure you have the latest set of tools and the required platforms installed.”
I had not idea what it meant by “manually” so I went into my local copy of the Android Development Studio and performed a full update of all the APIs’ and Tool packs. This didn’t help. Probably because I’d forgotten that the Unity version I was running had it’s own set of API’s in another location.
This is where I found it: C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.1f1\ Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\tools\bin\
This is how I ran it manually from the Windows Command Prompt (cmd.exe):
“C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.1f1\Editor\ Data\PlaybackEngines\ AndroidPlayer\SDK\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat” “platforms;android-29”
“C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.1f1\Editor\ Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat” “platforms;android-30”
First time I ran this I had to accept the licence agreement (Y|n) from the command prompt and it seems that this was the problem. I’m guessing that the internal Unity update function didn’t allow for the licence prompt and was timing out.
I did some googling around and found a few examples of this issue – one person said they had to create a repositories.cfg file in their C:\<users>\.android folder (I already had one so not sure if this step is required).
Anyway fun days and looking forward to releasing the game later next week.